Department of State

Where can I learn more about the State Department?

To learn more about the U.S. Department of State, please visit the department’s official website.

Where can I get comprehensive Passport information online?

Passports generally take six weeks to be processed, so please remember to apply for your passport as early as possible. For complete information on applying for a Passport, renewing your Passport by mail, replacing a lost or stolen Passport, correcting or changing your Passport’s information, and more, please visit

To find the nearest location to apply for a Passport, please visit the Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Office of Passport Services/Customer Service website.

I can't wait for the normal six week processing time for my application. Can I request an expedite?

Congressman Thompson and his staff may be able to help expedite your Passport application. If you need help with your passport, please contact your nearest district office.

What should I do before traveling to a foreign country?

Before visiting a foreign country, you should ensure all your travel concerns are addressed. For the most current information on travel warnings issued by the U.S. State Department and related updates, please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs' website, or contact the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Office of Public Affairs, at 202-647-5225 or 1-888-407-4747.

For information on staying healthy and safe while traveling abroad, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Traveler’s Health website.

Where can I find visa information online?

United States citizens don’t need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit. To learn more about the visa application process, please visit the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs.