Department of Veterans Affairs

Where can I find information on the Department of Veterans Affairs?

VA provides a wide range of benefits including disability, education and training, vocational rehabilitation and employment, home loan guaranty, dependant and survivor benefits, medical treatment, life insurance, and burial benefits. VA Benefits in Brief is a printable document that provides an at-a-glance description of VA benefits, as well as contact phone numbers and locations.

To learn more about the Department of Veterans Affairs, please visit the department’s official website.

How can I get a copy of my military records (discharge, medical, etc.)?

If you are trying to get records from your military service, or that of a family member, please contact your nearest district office.

Most military records are stored at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri. This Center is the repository of millions of military personnel, health, and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans of all services during the 20th century. Please visit the National Personnel Records Center’s website.

For those who are veterans or next-of-kin of a deceased veteran, you may now go online to order a copy of your military records. Click here to create a customized order form to request information for your, or your relative's, military personnel records.

If you are not a veteran or next of kin, you make write a detailed letter to the National Personnel Records Center. Click here to find the necessary forms to be filled out. All requests must be in writing, signed and mailed to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132

How can I get the medals I was awarded during my service but never received?

The awarding of military medals is handled primarily through the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. You may receive your medals more quickly if you have help from Congressman Thompson and work through his Congressional offices.