Rep. Mike Thompson’s Office Accepting Applications for Service Academy Nominations
Washington, DC – U.S. Rep. Mike Thompson (CA-5) announced today that his office is accepting applications from those ages 17-23 who are interested in attending the four service academies requiring nominations: United States Air Force Academy, United States Merchant Marine Academy, United States Military Academy at West Point, and the United States Naval Academy. The fifth service academy, the Coast Guard Academy, does not require a nomination.
“One of the highest honors I have as a Representative in Congress is annually nominating exceptional candidates from our community to the service academies,” said Rep. Thompson. “Just a few months ago, seven exceptional young men and women were accepted into the academies from our District, and I’m pleased to announce that the nomination process for the next class is underway. If offered appointments, these young men and women will receive both a world class education and the skills they will need to become tomorrow’s military leaders.”
Eligible candidates must be at least 17 years old, but younger than 23, in the year of their admission to the academy, a United States citizen, unmarried, and a resident of California’s 5th Congressional District.
The Benefits of Attending a Service Academy include:
- Cadets will receive a four year education and degree from some of the most prestigious colleges in the country. All service academies have high academic standards.
- In exchange for a five year commitment to the military candidates selected receive a world-class education valued at $400,000. Schooling, room, board and books are all paid for. In addition medical and dental coverage will be provided.
- The service academies’ key focus is on preparing the leaders of tomorrow through leadership, mental, emotional and physical development.
- Cadets will have job security upon graduation as they will go into service as a commissioned officer in the United States military.
- An O-1 commissioned officer earns a base pay of $3,692.10 per month plus 30 days of leave a year.
- A new Second Lieutenant earns $ 2,934.30 per month. In addition, they receive a $253 Basic Allowance for Subsistence. Airborne status pays and extra $150 per month and Combat Zone pay extra $225 month. Additionally, they receive a housing allowance to live off post, which varies by location.
Interested applicants should contact Thompson’s Santa Rosa District Office at CA05.ServiceAcademy@mail.house.gov or 707-542-7182 for an application packet and further information. Applications are due to Thompson’s office by October 15, 2017.