Have health insurance questions (image)Covered California (image)

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

Congressman Mike Thompson

Representing the 5th District of CALIFORNIA

Rep. Thompson’s Statement on Approval of Partial Federal Disaster Aid for Communities Impacted by Northern California Fires

Oct 10, 2017
Press Release

Napa, CA –  Today, Congressman Mike Thompson (CA-05) released the following statement on the Administration’s partial approval of the federal disaster assistance requested by the State of California for areas impacted by the ongoing fires in Northern California:

“The approval of these federal disaster funds is an important step in our recovery. They will help our cities and towns repair the damage that these fires continue to inflict on our community,” said Rep. Thompson. “The emergency Public Assistance and Hazard Mitigation funds that were approved are crucial, and I look forward to working with the Administration to ensure the full Public Assistance and Individual Assistance funds that were requested by the State of California are also approved. The approval of those funds will be the next important step for our community, and for those individuals who have lost everything, to recover and rebuild.”

The Administration today approved Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) disaster funds for Categories A and B Public Assistance (PA) which provides assistance for “emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities” and debris removal.

Full Public Assistance funding would allow local communities to use to repair critical public infrastructure such as roads, bridges, buildings, water infrastructure, power generation facilities, sewage collection facilities, and drainage channels. The federal government covers 75 percent of the costs, and the state and locals governments split the remaining 25 percent.

Hazard mitigation was also approved. This is funding for local communities to repair facilities in a way that will help make sure they are better able to withstand future fires.

The Administration did not yet approve or deny Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) disaster funds for Individual Assistance (IA). This is funding for individual families to help rebuild and repair housing. FEMA is still reviewing the State’s request for IA and a decision on IA funds will be made by the Administration at a later date.

###