Agency Help

An important part of Congressman Thompson's job is helping residents of California's 5th Congressional District navigate the complex federal agency system. Our office may be able to assist if you are having trouble working with the Social Security Administration, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the IRS, or any other federal agency. While we cannot guarantee a particular outcome, we will do our best to ensure you receive a fair and timely response to your concern.

Our staff can help with matters involving government agencies and programs, including:

  • Military awards and commendations
  • Veterans' benefits
  • Social Security and Medicare benefits
  • Immigration matters
  • Federal worker injury compensation
  • Small-business concerns
  • Tax issues and the Internal Revenue Service
  • HUD housing
  • Student loans
  • Military academy applications

Please note that our office is unable to offer legal advice or recommend an attorney. The rules of the House do not allow Congressman Thompson to intervene in or influence the outcome of cases that are under the jurisdiction of any court.

Under the Privacy Act of 1974, individuals are required to complete and sign a privacy release form before elected officials can provide assistance with their cases. Before we can begin assisting you with your case, you must complete a Privacy Release Form. You can fill out the form below or print a form and mail or fax it to the appropriate district office. In some time-sensitive circumstances, however, information may be provided to a caseworker who has received verbal permission from a constituent by phone and can provide the agency with pertinent information, such as the constituent's full name, birth date, Social Security number, and/or a file number.

If you would like Congressman Thompson or his staff to contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) about a specific case, please fill out the USCIS Advocacy Authorization Form.

Please Note: The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.
We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request.

Authorization Form

* indicates information that you need to provide.

In accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974, I give Representative Mike Thompson authority to act on my behalf.

* marks required fields of data.

Your Information

What are these options?
Constituents who are hard of hearing or use a video phone have the option to choose TDD or VP based on the type of device they are using. This allows our office to respond to them accordingly. The default option "Voice" is a standard audible telephone.

Please do not include your social security number if your case inquiry is with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This form requires you to print, sign and mail, fax, or hand deliver the signed document. Your social security number will not be transmitted electronically.
Agency/Military Information
Immigration-related Information

Print This Form

Use the "Generate Request for Review" button below to produce the document to authorize our office to help you. Print, sign, and mail, fax, or hand deliver it to the address shown on the document. Please include any other documents or material that you think would help our office help you.